Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer Heat = Fried Brains

Zilla is 4 years old
Mega is 2 years old
I'm crazy!

Here is proof that the summer heat has fried my brain...

Last week my husband was rather busy so when the kids and I found out he would be home in time for supper on Friday we talked about what would be good to make.  Normally that is our pizza and a movie night but we had pizza on Daddy's Day Off earlier in the week and we couldn't agree on a movie to watch.  Somewhere, somehow, for some unknown reason I suggested that we make lasagna from scratch - like make the noodles ourselves "scratch".  I had leftover (made from scratch) sauce which needed to be used up so this sounded like a good idea at the time.

After all, making noodles is really the same as playing with play dough, right? I found an easy enough recipe here: http://www.motherthyme.com/2011/11/lasagna-with-homemade-lasagna-noodles.html

 Zilla mixed up the dough

 We divided it into 3 parts to knead and roll

Mega was so careful with the dough!  
While cute, her technique was not very productive. 

 Here's our rolled out dough strips.  These where layered with pasta sauce and cheese, as the directions say.  I also added thinly sliced zucchini to each layer.

While fun (messy and stressful) I ran into one huge problem at the end.  When I was just about to put the top layer of noodles on Mega came into the kitchen to "help" me and ended up making a ball of the remaining dough!  I was able to pull off just enough noodles to make the top layer but oh... my... I wanted to scream/shout/yell!

 The lasagna turned out pretty well!  It tasted even better on the second day :-)

As if the homemade lasagna from scratch wasn't enough... we also made carrot cake.  The kids love it and if you substitute the oil with apple sauce (and cut out half the sugar) it can be pretty healthy!

No comments: