Friday, December 31, 2010

Dino Days

The Little Guy is 3 years and 2 months old
It has happened.  The time has come.  It seems like most kids have phases of interest and one phase that is particularly strong for many boys are their Dino Days.  The Little Guy has started showing an interest in dinosaurs.  He received a set of dinos at a Christmas party. I must admit that I'm surprised it has taken him almost 2 weeks before starting the "why" and "how" questions!
We are starting the exploration of dinosaurs slowly by identifying the dinos he already has and learning a little bit about each one.  Have you seen the PBS (American Public TV - like NHK-E) show Dinosaur Train?  I downloaded a few episodes a while back on iTunes.  It is a starting point for little kids who know basically nothing of dinosaurs - or parents who remember very little from school!
Here are our dinosaur figures and flashcards that I printed, laminated and put on a ring.  The cards are from the Dinosaur Train Field Guide.  Over the next few weeks I plan to prepare the cards for the dinosaurs that we don't have and add them to the set.  We'll use them for identifying various dinosaurs in books, DVDs, posters, etc.
I'm also hunting for a few good dinosaur books.  There are so many to choose from but most that I've seen are too difficult for a 3 year old. I have ordered "What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs?" by John D. Morris and "The Great Dinosaur Mystery and the Bible" by Paul S. Taylor from Amazon.  The DK Publishing dinosaur books look interesting too but I think they are a bit too difficult right now.
In my search for information I found some other good dino info on the Answers In Genesis page that you may be interested in too.

No comments: